About IBBY UK
We are the UK nominating body for a number of awards and exhibitions. Our regular programme includes:
- Nominating British books and British writers and illustrators to IBBY’s prestigious international award, the Hans Christian Andersen Award. Recent winners of HCA include Anthony Browne (2000) and Quentin Blake (2002) for illustration, and Aidan Chambers (2002) and David Almond (2010) for writing.
- Submitting titles for the biennial IBBY Honour Book List and the biennial Outstanding Books for Children with Disabilities list.
- Nominating authors and illustrators for national and international awards including the UK Children’s Laureate, the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award and the Biennial of Illustrations Bratislava.
- Nominating reading projects for the IBBY Asahi award for outstanding activities which make a lasting contribution to reading promotion programmes.
- Raising funds for the IBBY Children in Crisis literacy initiatives.
- Publishing an e-journal, IBBYLink, three times a year, as well as regular e-newsletters.
Our regular activities include:
- Organising an annual day conference in collaboration with the National Centre for Research in Children’s Literature at Roehampton University
- Commissioning a specially designed greeting card each year, which is supported by leading illustrators. In 2016, our card featured a design by our Hans Christian Andersen Award 2018 nominee, Jane Ray
- Organise events celebrating British children’s authors and illustrators and highlighting children’s books from other countries, including an annual programme of events at the London Book Fair
The International Board on Books for Young People is a unique international alliance of everyone interested in children’s literature: academics, librarians, writers, illustrators, publishers, teachers, literacy workers, booksellers, parents and others.
Registered Office: 71 Addiscombe Court Road, Croydon, CR0 6TT
The IBBY UK Section is a Company Limited by Guarantee: Company number 7892957; Registered Charity number 1145999.